Monday, February 7, 2011

Fireplace Makeover

What's a girl to do ... when her husband goes skiing for three days with the guys?  Makeover the fireplace of course!  I have been wanting to change out the fireplace surround for awhile now, but didn't really know where to start. I got my inspiration from the one Becky's "handyman" built for her.  Once I had an idea in mind,  Little Man Luke and I headed out for lumber.


This is the "before"

It reminds me of a really bad photography background. The kind that stores use for pictures with Santa. The really scary part is that I'm the one who put the slate and mantel up in the first place. Isn't it funny to look back at some of the "dont's"  (can you say sponge painting) that happen along the path to finding your true style?



We had two snow days and temperatures of minus 16, so Luke was more than happy to stay in and help with the demolition
It was starting to come together and I got to use my favorite power tool, the chop saw, so I was very happy. I was able to incorporate the old mantel which is just a big false beam. It sure looks better with a couple coats of white paint.


For obvious reasons, I wanted to move the flat screen TV to another wall. After all, what good does it do to have a mantel if you can't put anything on it.  This would turn out to be the most difficult part of the entire job.


When Reed got home I asked him to see about moving the cable line to another wall...easier said than done. He was down in the basement with a coat hanger taped to a long pole, and I was up in the family room trying to feed the cable down to him. There was a ton of duct work and pipes which made it really hard to work around, but eventually we were able to get it all hooked up. Yay!
 Here is the "after"

I already had the chippy old window frames,  printers tray, and the homemade coffee filter wreath, so the total cost for the makeover was only $136...not looking at that  awful "Santa Claus background,  Priceless!




I will be joining these parties:



10 comments:

Unknown said...

what a gorgeous...i mean GORGEOUS transformation! Well done! Happy WW!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Wow...you did a wonderful job! It looks amazing!!

Heidi said...

Stunning!
:)Heidi

time worn interiors said...

the make over turn out wonderful! love it! just think how good next years santa pictures will look!
theresa
aka:tot

Crystal said...

It looks great!!! Don't you just love power tools!!!!!

Tanya said...

Fabulous makeover - I love the smile on that little face, hammer in hand! Tanya

Pamela said...

Hi Shawna!

Thank you for following me and entering my giveaway!
I love love the name of your blog and love your header!
I'm a new follower too!
Pamela :)

nanniepannie said...

Well done I admire a women who can use power tools. It looks great, now just sit back and relax. Thanks for coming over to nanniepannies. Thanks so much for becoming a follow, please visit often. Nancy

Kelly said...

Hello! When my husband goes out of town, I usually tackle something like this as well! :) Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!

Kelly

Amy Kinser said...

Wow! I am very impressed. Great job you and your little man did.